|CS101 - Setting Up an Effective Career Services Department|
This course offers strategies to provide employment and job search skills training that enables students to seek jobs in the field for which they are trained. You'll learn how to offer comprehensive career services regardless of whether your career services department is staffed full- or part-time. The course covers the territory all the way from setting up and running a career services department to measuring results! It describes how a successful career services department can ensure that your students have the skills and self-confidence to succeed in the workplace. You'll learn techniques to increase placement rates and to reach out to the community to meet and maintain relationships with hiring decision- makers.
Module 1: Overview of Your Career Services Department
- Develop a written statement about your school Career Services Department.
- List the services offered by the Career Services Department at your school and what your constituency needs to know.
- Create summary information about the industries for which you train.
- Determine who benefits from the Career Services Department.
Module 2: Your Career Services
- Develop and list career services offered by the school now and in the future.
- Develop a Career Services Department Resource Library.
- Create Job Search Seminars.
- Determine whether programs should include internships or externships.
Module 3: Projects for Your Students
- Create employment skills and job search projects that students can easily complete on their own or in a group.
- Put together a list of meaningful employment and job search learning activities for students.
- Assist students to gain confidence as they transform from student to job seeker.
- Provide students with skills to stay on the job and seek job advancement.
Module 4: Measuring Your Career Success
- List companies that hire your graduates.
- Create and implement surveys of students, graduates, employers, and potential employers.
- Utilize survey information to make changes and improvements.